Riverside Golf Club was established in 1893 by William Havemeyer and 22 residents of the Village of Riverside. The course began as a nine hole course located west of the Des Plaines River. The Riverside Golf Club of today exists on the same parcel of land it obtained over 125 years ago. This makes Riverside the oldest golf club west of the Appalachian Mountains on the original site.
The Western Golf Association was founded in 1899 with Riverside Golf Club being one of thirteen founding clubs. In 1915, the club purchased 88.5 acres west of the DesPlaines River and 12.2 acres east of the river and the new 18 hole golf course was constructed on the old and new land. Noted golf course architect, William Langford (Lawsonia), designed and built the original 18 hole course.
In the late 1980’s, the club purchased 25 acres of land from the Cook County Forest Preserve. Local architect, Dick Nugent (Kemper Lakes,) was selected to build and construct four new holes on this property which were opened in 2002. In 2005, architect Bob Lohmann (Merit Club), was selected to build the new 18th hole and practice facility. A bunker renovation was completed in 2017 by local architect Dave Esler (Black Sheep). The bunkers were restored to the original William Langford design, which featured flat bunkers with grass faces.
A new clubhouse was constructed on the east side of the Des Plaines River in 1918. A major fire destroyed the clubhouse in November 1984. The current clubhouse and pool were built on the same site and dedicated in November 1987.